Feral Moto Logo

Kawasaki Z750 L2 Street Tracker Project


I've owned and ridden the Z750 L2 for a number of years but it was looking a bit tired, so rather than restoring it back to original condition I decided to have a change and convert it into a street tracker.

Converting a bike of this age is not a simple affair, parts are hard to come by and updating and refreshing components isn't easy either.

So with the bike rolled onto the lift in the workshop I started putting a few ideas together. (Yes, That's a Z750E in the background!)

donorbike1_wm

I'd just fitted a brand new Motad 4 into 2 exhaust to the Z750 L2 and so wanted to include it in the new build as it was a sizeable investment.

As you can see the bike is in great condition considering it's age and has been looked after and so the strip down wasn't too difficult.
With the cat comfortably perched in the background keeping an eye on proceedings I started stripping the bike ready for redesign.

strip1_wm


strip3_wm

The Z750 engine is a sizeable lump and took many hands to remove safely. Since I already knew it was a perfectly good low mileage running engine very little work was required, apart from checking valve clearances, a good soda blasting, repaint and polishing.

strip4_wm

Removing the paint from parts was surprisingly easy and the sonic cleaner I'd only recently invested in got heavily used throughout the build.

Modifying the frame took some serious designing as the new seat required very different mountings from the original.

framemods1_wm

Trimming the frame and adding the new loop whilst retaining frame integrity and strength.

framemods2_wm

Fabrication of the new seat mount.

framemods3_wm

Offering the seat and tank up to ensure correct fit during the build.

framemods4_wm

Many parts had to be stripped, sonic cleaned and then rebuilt using new parts to get things back as close to new as possible.
The carb's took a lot of work to strip and clean, there is a lot to do when you have 4 carbs.

carbclean1_wm


carbclean2_wm

And finally the carbs completely rebuilt with new internals and ready to go back on.

cleancarbs1_wm

The carbs weren't the only thing that needed attention, the brakes also benefitted from a complete overhaul.
Stripping down the callipers, removing pistons and seals, sonic cleaning and then rebuilding with new seals was a time consuming job.

brakes1_wm

brakes2_wm

brakes3_wm

Whilst the refurb was taking place the frame and associated parts were sent off for powder coating.

powdercoat1_wm

A bronze colour with copper fleck finished with a clear coat will look amazing in the sun.

Now that the frame is done, wheels painted and forks polished the task of reassembling begins.

rebuild1_wm

New aluminium straight bars give the bike a completely different look.

rebuild3_wm

To keep the front end clean I fitted bar-end LED indicators.

rebuild4_wm

rebuild5_wm

Even during the rebuild there were still decisions to be made on final colour choice for some of the parts.

rebuild2_wm

With the engine back in the frame, carb's synchronised and setup and electrics complete I'm just waiting for the tank to come back from the paint shop and it'll be ready for the MOT.

AlmostComplete1_wm

And the finished bike fully MOT'd and ready ride!

IMG_0875

IMG_0863

IMG_0870

IMG_0884

IMG_0791

IMG_0789

IMG_0751

IMG_0893

IMG_0895

© 2017 Feral Moto Tel: 0752 6116110 Email Us